Extreme consumption of slush ice drinks over a short while interval has been linked to 2 kids falling sick in Scotland.
Meals Requirements Scotland (FSS) mentioned it was conscious of two kids, in Edinburgh in 2022 and Lanarkshire in 2021, who turned unwell after having slush ice drinks. Each required hospitalization and had signs according to glycerol intoxication. One of many children consumed three slushies in a restricted time.
Glycerol is an ingredient in slush ice drinks to stop the liquid from freezing strong. It’s allowed as an additive and there are not any limits. Producers can add as a lot of it as wanted to attain the specified technological operate. The extent of glycerol in slush ice drinks varies relying on the producer and the product.
FSS has been trying into the incident with the Meals Requirements Company (FSA), Public Well being Scotland, NHS Well being Safety Groups, and native authorities.
Stuart McAdam, head of incidents at Meals Requirements Scotland, mentioned: “Though glycerol is mostly of low toxicity, there are considerations in regards to the impact on younger kids when massive portions are consumed over a brief time period.
“We’re working with UK commerce associations that signify the gentle drinks trade and all kinds of stakeholders to higher perceive the degrees of glycerol used throughout the sector.”
Limitless refills and self-serve choices
One concern is limitless refills at theme and exercise parks. The FSA mentioned it was additionally conscious of a rising variety of self-serve choices at retail outlets, comfort shops, and newsagents. A specific drawback is refill presents are sometimes unmonitored. There is no such thing as a laws limiting the supply of self-service refills.
Consumption of multiple drink or massive volumes briefly time durations, could trigger important hostile well being results in younger kids, mentioned the company.
The recommendation is that kids, particularly these underneath the age of three, shouldn’t drink multiple of these kinds of drinks inside an hour.
Younger kids having one 350 mL slush ice drink might doubtlessly undergo complications, nausea, or vomiting. Consumption of multiple drink in a short while interval might result in extra extreme results.
A European Meals Security Authority (EFSA) opinion in 2017 concluded that infants could possibly be uncovered to excessive sufficient ranges to trigger unintended effects by consuming lower than one 330 mL can of a flavored drink.
Consciousness of the potential threat of glycerol intoxication in kids when consuming slush drinks has been raised with meals companies and native authorities. FSA has offered recommendation and shared a threat evaluation on the additive with trade and native authorities. Work on threat administration is ongoing.
(To join a free subscription to Meals Security Information, click on right here)